Published: · Updated: · This post may contain affiliate links
Jump to Recipe Print Recipe Pin Recipe
Our Tomato and Red Pepper Soup is such a great recipe for those busy days when you need something healthy and satisfying to warm up your body. To make this delicious roasted tomato and pepper soup, you won't even need a saucepan. All you need is a baking tray, an oven, and a high-speed or immersion blender.
Why you will love this recipe
If you were looking for a good tomato soup recipe, don't leave! This is our favorite soup because of its simplicity, flavors, and many other reasons. Maybe it can be your favorite soup too!
- To start off, our recipe is naturally vegan, gluten-free, and toddler and kids-friendly.
- All you need to make this recipe is a baking tray, an oven, and a blender.
- Our recipe is a one-pan meal. All the ingredients for the soup will be roasted at the same time, in the same tray.
- No need to peel the peppers and all the ingredients are roughly chopped which makes it easy to prepare. This easy soup can be cooked by anybody!
- You can make this tomato and pepper soup all year round. Don't get me wrong, this soup is an absolute winning meal for the winter months but red pepper and tomatoes are at their best during summer, meaning you can as well cook this lovely soup during those months.
- It is served with a cashew cream sauce and fresh herbs, which make for the perfect garnish.
Our Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup is:
- Hearty and comforting
- Healthy and healing
- Easy to make
How to make our Vegan Tomato and Pepper Soup
For this tomato soup you just need a handful of ingredients.
Cherry Tomatoes. We choose cherry tomatoes as they tend to be sweeter. If you prepare this recipe at the end of the summer when the weather starts to get cooler, you can most probably still find big, juicy, and sweet fresh tomatoes. If your tomatoes are not too juicy and flavourful, you can add some tomato paste before blending the soup.
Red bell peppers. When you bake red pepper, they almost caramelize and will bring a delicious smoky and sweet punch to your soup. Roasted red peppers are a must ingredient for this healing soup.
Sweet potato. Using sweet potato, you can get a thicker and creamier soup. As well, sweet potatoes are highly nutritious being a great source of fiber and vitamins.
Onion and garlic. Both ingredients are roasted with the rest of the veggies to enhance the flavor of the soup. For this recipe, you can use any type of onion.
Fresh herbs. We use sage from our garden but you can add fresh basil, parsley, oregano, or thyme.
Olive Oil. For our tomato and pepper soup, we use extra virgin olive oil. Alternatively, you can use another type of vegetable oil.
Vegetable Stock. You can use homemade vegetable stock or store-bought one. Most recipes use chicken broth but we want to keep our recipe vegan.
Cashew cream. To make cashew cream, you will need to soak the cashews for about 20 minutes in hot water or even leave them overnight in room-temperature water. If you want to skip making your own cashew cream to garnish the soup, you can use another type of plant-based cream already made such as coconut, soy, oat, or regular heavy cream for a vegetarian version of our recipe.
- Add cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped red pepper, peeled and roughly chopped sweet potato, chopped onion, a garlic head (top removed), olive oil, and fresh herbs into a baking tray or sheet pan. Mix well so all the ingredients are coated with oil. Add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 180C (350F). Halfway, mix well to ensure that all the vegetables will cook evenly.
- While the ingredients for the soup are baking, you can prepare the cashew cream. Add the presoaked cashews to a high-speed blender or immersion blender jug with water. Blend the mixture until you have a really smooth cashew cream. Reserve for later.
- When the vegetables are ready, remove the skin of the garlic by pressing it. The garlic cloves will just squeeze out. Transfer all the ingredients to a blender jug and add the vegetable stock. Blend until all the ingredients are totally blended and your soup has a smooth consistency. For this step, you can use an immersion blender, a high-speed blender, or a food processor. Garnish with cashew cream, black pepper, and some fresh herbs of your choice, and serve.
How to prepare homemade croutons
Since we started making croutons at home, we haven't bought premade ones anymore. For this recipe, as we are already using the oven, you don't even have to heat the oven just to make the croutons.
We use Chapata bread to prepare our croutons. We find that white bread works better than brown, but feel free to use any type of bread you like. Cut the bread into slices and then each slice into cubes (about 1cm).
Transfer them into a baking tray, add some olive oil, and dried herbs of your choice, and bake for about 8 minutes at 180ºC (350F)
You can serve them immediately with your soup or store them using an airtight container for 2-3 days.
Our Roasted Tomato and Red Bell Pepper Soup make for a perfect appetizer or main dish. We especially love this soup recipe for an easy weeknight meal.
If you want to enjoy this warm bowl of soup as an appetizer, simply prepare some croutons to serve with the soup.
If you are planning on having this creamy soup as a main dish, you will want to try serving it with a mouth-watering vegan grilled cheese sandwich. Minimalist Baker has the best Vegan Cheese Sandwich you can make at home.
To garnish the soup, add some cashew cream, fresh herbs, little olive oil, and black pepper.
If you have leftovers, you can keep the soup in your fridge for 4-5 days or freeze it to enjoy another day!
FAQ & Tips
Can I freeze this Roasted Tomato Soup?
Yes! You can freeze this meal to enjoy another day. Avoid adding any cashew cream if you are planning on freezing the soup.
Can I use another type of Peppers?
Yes. We use red bell peppers but you can use Italian red peppers, yellow or orange peppers as well as mini peppers.
Can I add more seasonings to the recipe?
Sure! Before baking the vegetables, you can add other spices such as smoked paprika, garlic powder, nutmeg, sweet paprika, red pepper flakes, and more. You can add any spices you like to your vegetables. We wanted to keep the recipe simple using really basic ingredients.
What Can I use instead of cashew cream to make the soup creamier?
You can use coconut milk or cream, soy cream, or oat cream. As well, for a vegetarian option, you can use heavy cream, goat cheese, sour cream, or greek yogurt.
Print Recipe Pin Recipe
4.67 from 9 votes
Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
Our Tomato and Red Pepper Soup is such a great recipe for those busy days when you need something healthy and satisfying to warm up your body.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time30 minutes mins
Total Time45 minutes mins
Course: Appetizer, Main Course
Keyword: Roasted Tomato and Red Pepper Soup
Servings: 4 people
- 500 g cherry tomatoes
- 1 big bell red pepper
- 1 medium-size sweet potato
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic head
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- A handful fresh sage or another fresh herb
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 1 cup cashews
- ½ cup water adjust water to taste
Preheat the oven at 180ºC (350F)
Wash the cherry tomatoes and red pepper and peel the sweet potato and the onion. Roughly chop the red pepper, sweet potato, and onion. Cut the top of the garlic head.
Add all the ingredients into a baking tray together with the olive oil, and fresh herbs. Mix well so all the ingredients are well coated with oil.
Bake for about 40 minutes at 180C (350F). Halfway, mix well to ensure that all the vegetables will cook evenly.
While the ingredients for the soup are baking, you can prepare the cashew cream. Add the presoaked cashews to a high-speed blender or immersion blender jug with water.
Blend the mixture until you have a really smooth cashew cream and reserve for later.
When the vegetables are ready, remove the skin of the garlic by pressing it. The garlic cloves will just squeeze out.
Transfer all the ingredients to a blender jug with the vegetable stock and blend until all the ingredients are totally blended and your soup has a smooth consistency.
Garnish with cashew cream, black pepper, and some fresh herbs of your choice and serve.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 803mg | Potassium: 788mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 9964IU | Vitamin C: 70mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 4mg
Other Delicious Soup Recipes:
- Vegan Thai Coconut Noodle Soup
- Vegan Lasagna Soup
- Arabic Lentil Soup
- Vegan Potato Leek Soup
- Carrot and Lentil Soup
- Creamy Millet Porridge with Fruit
- Matoke Recipe (African Stew)
- Vegan Satay Noodles (Peanut Stir-fry)
- Aubergine Curry Recipe (Eggplant Curry)